December 18, 2008

Nicole Kidman, No Longer Baz’s Girl

Baz Luhrmann & Nicole Kidman when they liked each other

Well it looks like the love affair is over.

Baz Luhrmann took the bizarre step of informing the world that he no longer would be able to work with former muse, Nicole Kidman.

Was someone holding a gun to his head?

Who said he had to work with the same actor again and since when is it necessary for a director to explain to the world that he no longer wished to work with the same actor on any upcoming projects? Or in fact explain the mechanics of what he plans to do in the future at all?

You just don’t work with them.

Or is the reason deeper than that?

It would appear that Baz wants to distance himself from Ms Box Office Poison, as most of his film, “Australia’s” criticism seems to be directed squarely at her. Kidman seems to be assisting in bringing about its downfall. Things cannot be good over at the Luhrmann base if he feels the need to publicly denounce her.

His reasons for not working with her in the future seem rather ridiculous.

"So many life-transforming things happen when we work together,” Luhrmann said.
"On Moulin Rouge she was breaking up with Tom Cruise and my father died on the first day of filming," Luhrmann told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"Then six weeks before we finished filming “Australia,” we were doing a scene where her character has to say she can't have children and she goes, Bazzy, Bazzy, I've got to see you, and we sit down under a tree and she tells me she's pregnant and she burst into tears and I did, too, because I knew that was what she wanted more than anything else.”

"We both said we can't make another movie together because there are only so many life-transforming events we can go through."

OK so we can take from that that she is a drama queen and causes issues on set but it seems like a ludicrous reason none the less. It’s not like she turned up to film high on drugs or alcohol.

Luhrmann admits that 20th Century Fox, were having problems marketing it to audiences because of its mix of slapstick comedy and intense drama.

"Fox are having trouble selling it," he said. "They're having trouble making a trailer that can sell tickets. I'm scared and fearful of this. Will everyone get it? No. But I've been amazed by the variety of audiences who are intensely emotional in reacting to it."

Clearly his fear is causing him to detach himself from Kidman so he himself can pick up the pieces of his career. Who can blame him?

Nicole can’t be happy about this latest public denouncement by the director no less, after weeks of negative critique being thrown at her since the launch of “Australia.”

There was only one way for her to play it – restate her stand on lessening any upcoming acting work so she can spend more time with Sunday Roast & The Fringe.

Typically, arrogantly, she said "I have to say I'm not that interested in making films any more," she told the newspaper. "I know I'm not meant to say that, but that's where it is for me now.”

"I'm 41 years old and very happy being in Tennessee with my baby and with my husband.”
"I obviously have creative blood in me and it needs to come out in some way but I just don't have that burning desire anymore. I'm not saying I'm never going to work again, but I'm at peace with whatever happens, which is a nice place to be at this stage of my life."

As nobody wants to touch Nicole with a yardstick, I am sure her wishes will be granted.

3 comments:

  1. Finally after like 20 years of Boxtoxface's acting, Directors have come to the realistation she can't act and never could. Shame I could have told them that before they lost their money in the box office! I have yet to see her do a good acting job she is far too self concience and more worried about her look than really acting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant really blame Baz, I would distance myself from her as well, she hasnt brought in any money for a movie since The Others I think.

    ReplyDelete

Don't agree or just want to have a rant? Here's your chance.